I used to be not too long ago reacquainted with the idea that of rum-running whilst studying Mallory O’Meara’s very good e-book “Girly Beverages.” The e-book main points girls’s vital contributions to the historical past of alcohol. One of the crucial memorable figures within the e-book is Gertrude “Cleo” Lythgoe, who smuggled spirits (most commonly whiskey) into america by way of the Bahamas all the way through Prohibition. Rum-running was once an enormous industry all the way through Prohibition, and Lythgoe was once probably the most key gamers in a community that saved the American consuming public provided with top-shelf booze.
The historical past of this drink, like many, is tricky to ensure. In accordance to a couple accounts, it was once created via a bartender within the Florida Keys within the Nineteen Seventies as a tribute to the individuals who saved The united states rainy all the way through Prohibition. To start with look it will seem like a grotesque hodgepodge of elements, however I liken this drink to a fruitier rum model of a Singapore Sling — in all probability somewhat overstuffed, however without a doubt greater than the sum of its portions, which is a key characteristic of all nice beverages.
Some recipes name for gentle and darkish rum, however I have simplified issues somewhat and simply long gone with darkish for this rendition. If you happen to occur to have some other darkish berry liqueur readily available, like crème de cassis or Chambord, be at liberty to make use of that rather than the blackberry liqueur if you do not really feel like including some other bottle to your house bar. And for the pineapple juice and grenadine: Retailer-bought is ok in the event you will have to, however making your personal provides a scrumptious shine.
— John deBary
Watch this recipe
For the rum runner:
- 1 1/2 oz darkish rum
- 1 ounce banana liqueur
- 1 ounce blackberry liqueur (or different berry liqueur, like crème de cassis or Chambord)
- 1 ounce pineapple juice
- 1 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 ounce grenadine (recipe under)
- Cocktail cherry and pineapple wedge, for garnish (not obligatory)
For the do-it-yourself grenadine:
- 1/2 cup pomegranate juice
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- For the rum runner: Mix all elements in a cocktail shaker. Upload ice and shake vigorously for 20 seconds. Pressure right into a tall glass. If you would like, garnish with a paper umbrella and a cocktail cherry and pineapple wedge on a select.
- For the do-it-yourself grenadine: Mix the pomegranate juice and sugar in a blender and mix on prime for 1 minute, till the sugar is dissolved. Let the syrup leisure for five mins prior to the use of. The grenadine will stay within the fridge for as much as 2 weeks or within the freezer for as much as 1 month.