“This humble meal is as of late thought to be Puerto Rico’s unofficial nationwide dish, and a circle of relatives favourite for plenty of. Rising up, mofongo used to be a dish reserved for particular events and virtually at all times served with ‘camarones a l. a. criolla,’ or Creole shrimp. My model takes my circle of relatives’s recipe and accommodates a couple of tips I have picked up alongside the best way rising up in Brooklyn. ¡Buen provecho!” — César Ramón Pérez Medero
Very important Apparatus: mortar and pestle
Watch this recipe
Mofongo de Camarones (Shrimp Mofongo) from César Ramón Pérez Medero
- 12 massive shell-on shrimp, peeled and deveined, shells reserved
- 1 teaspoon Diamond Crystal kosher salt, plus extra to style
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly floor black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon floor annatto
- 1/4 teaspoon floor cumin
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 inexperienced plantains
- 3 sprigs culantro (aka recao, sawtooth coriander, or chadon beni), chopped
- 3 sprigs cilantro, chopped
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 7 garlic cloves, 4 peeled and halved, 3 peeled and entire
- 5 ají dulce candy peppers, minced
- 1 small inexperienced cubanelle pepper, seeded and minced
- Canola oil, for deep frying (no less than 2 cups)
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 4 oz Spanish-style tomato sauce or 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup gentle beer (Medalla Gentle or any pilsner)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 oz chicharrones (fried red meat rinds)
- In a small bowl, toss the shrimp with the salt, oregano, thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, paprika, annatto, cumin, and 1 tbsp of additional virgin olive oil. Duvet and refrigerate.
- Simmer reserved shrimp shells in 2 cups water till lowered by means of part, about half-hour. Pressure and discard the shells.
- Bring to a halt each ends of the plantains. With the end of your knife, lower a shallow slit down the duration of each and every ridge, ensuring not to pass too deep. Gently slide a butter knife down between the flesh and pores and skin of the plantain, lifting up relatively as you pass. If the outside is being cussed, run the plantain underneath chilly water as you repeat those steps. After your plantains are peeled, lower into 2-inch rounds and cling in a bowl of chilly salty water.
- Now make the sofrito: Upload your culantro, cilantro, shallot, 4 halved garlic cloves, ají dulce peppers, and cubanelle pepper to a mortar. Sprinkle with salt and use a pestle to mash till you might be left with a paste.
- In a medium pot or Dutch oven over medium-low warmth, warmth the canola oil to 325°F. This’ll be able for the frying of the plantains by the point you might be achieved cooking your shrimp.
- To make the sauce, warmth 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high warmth. Upload sofrito combination in conjunction with the bay leaf and tomato sauce. Stir and cook dinner for two mins. Upload the beer and cook dinner for some other 3 mins, till simply cooked via. Upload the marinated shrimp and cook dinner for roughly 1 minute, simply till they begin to flip opaque. Take away from warmth and stir in 1 tablespoon chilly unsalted butter.
- Take away plantains from salt water and pat dry. Gently drop into the 325°F oil and deep-fry till calmly golden and cooked throughout, about 12 mins. Stir plantains every now and then, maintaining a tally of the temperature of the oil. (A burnt plantain will probably be dry, darkish brown, and tough to mash.) Take away from oil and drain on paper towels.
- To your mortar and pestle, mash the rest 3 garlic cloves with a pinch of salt till you might be left with a paste. Upload part of the fried plantains, the rest 1 tablespoon of additional virgin-olive oil, 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, the chicharrones, and ½ cup of shrimp inventory. Mash really well till no chunks of plantain stay. Upload the rest fried plantains and proceed to mash till clean, like an excessively thick mashed potato. Upload a bit extra butter and oil if the mix is simply too dry.
- The use of a small bowl, mould mofongo into two part spheres and plate. Best with shrimp, sauce, and slightly of chopped cilantro. Consume immediately with an ice chilly Medalla.