Ready Rehmannia Root Crafts Exhibition Corridor / LUO studio
Textual content description offered by the architects. Xiuwu County, located within the western a part of Henan Province inside Jiaozuo Metropolis, was traditionally often called Huaiqing Prefecture. Blessed with distinctive soil and local weather circumstances, Xiuwu has been famend as a manufacturing base of “4 conventional Chinese language medication herbs,” with Rehmannia (additionally known as “Di Huang” in Chinese language) being one among them. The Chinese language time period “Shu Di Huang” particularly denotes the ready or cooked Rehmannia root. As a result of its vital medicinal and financial worth, Shu Di Huang and its associated industries within the county have garnered widespread consideration.
1. Conceptual Shift from “Manufacturing unit” to “Exhibition Corridor”. The Ice Chrysanthemum Plantation in Houyanmen Village exemplifies the thriving medicinal herb planting business supported by the federal government of Xiueu County. Specifically permitted funds from the provincial authorities goal numerous elements of the medicinal herb business in Houyanmen Village, equivalent to a processing workshop, a dry subject, and a crafts exhibition corridor of Rehmannia root merchandise (i.e. Shu Di Huang). The processing workshop, which employed a portal body construction, accomplished building together with the drying subject in 2020. The crafts exhibition corridor, additionally adopting a portal body construction system, began basis pit excavation in 2020 and completed building a yr later. LUO studio was commissioned to work on its design in early 2021. Houyanmen Village has strategically prioritized rural industrial revitalization, with plantation building enjoying a pivotal function within the village’s general improvement.
A prevailing notion throughout the city, the village, and industrial parks is that buildings, even exhibition halls inside industrial parks, are basically workshops. Recognizing that conventional craftsmen and their methods is probably not well-suited for setting up large-span, open areas, the buildings within the rural industrial parks usually undertake a plant-like kind resulting from their maturity in building programs. This can be a frequent apply in rural industrial park building. The agricultural business, centered round planting, has transcended its typical function restricted to manufacturing spurred by informatization and all-around rural improvement. It now encompasses industrial tourism, nature schooling, e-commerce livestreaming, well being and wellness, and extra. The combination of major, secondary, and tertiary industries is crucial for the commercial revitalization of rural areas. Due to this fact, using a factory-style constructing with a conventional portal body construction isn’t applicable for a flexible exhibition corridor in a rural industrial park. LUO studio actively communicated with and persuaded all stakeholders to discard typical notions and embrace a brand new paradigm within the design and building of the Ready Rehmannia Root Crafts Exhibition Corridor. Whereas assembly the necessities of a large-span and open area, the brand new strategy additionally embodies the attributes of the exhibition corridor, native traits, and ecological issues.
2. “Daylight” because the Shared Core of Craftsmanship and Area. By conducting on-site analysis on the processing methods of Rehmannia roots, the design workforce found that the custom of cooking Rehmannia roots may be traced again to historic Chinese language doctor Solar Simiao’s “9 steaming and 9 sun-drying” methodology, which concerned steady cooking and drying processes linked to “daylight.” This distinctive conventional pharmaceutical course of is a pivotal idea in shaping the Exhibition Corridor’s area, which emphasizes an enriched mild setting. Gentle turns into the central theme of the constructing, producing dynamic adjustments each inside and outdoors. That is the elemental place to begin for the design. Seen from the outside, the play of sunshine and shadow on a round constructing physique proves extra nuanced, uniform, and steady in comparison with a sq. construction. The round kind higher showcases the altering mild and shadow over time. Due to this fact, the design workforce determined to undertake a virtually spherical architectural kind that incorporates a common polygon on the airplane, to keep away from arcs for precision and effectivity in building whereas making a curvy impact by way of straight strains. Deviating from the frequent strategy of carving out window holes within the constructing partitions for daylighting, the design emphasised unconventional means for introducing pure mild, equivalent to by way of ceilings, eaves, and gaps in between partitions.
3. Round Airplane. The centrally symmetrical round airplane is well-suited for the exhibition area. The visiting circulation is a key consideration for the inner area group of the exhibition corridor. It’s important to make sure a logically organized circulation route, to keep away from overlaps or detours. The undertaking adopts a virtually round airplane, forming an inscribed circle with a diameter of 37 meters. The periphery of the inscribed circle turns into the circulation route for guests. Such a structure technique can successfully streamline subsequent work in exhibition association and thus cut back price, which is important in rural building. Choosing a 37m-diameter central column body inside the structural framework is a cheap answer. This design introduces dynamic variations in each area and scale, creating distinct “ring” areas. The outer ring integrates the enclosure partitions with wood buildings, making a backdrop for putting show boards. The center ring serves as a shelf space for displaying numerous Rehmannia root merchandise. It incorporates densely organized structural models of the column body, making certain a steady construction and maximizing storage capability. The interior ring, extra expansive than the center ring, is designed with a round and stepped sunken seating space, providing a venue for well being & wellness periods and actions. The central skylight on the highest brings in daylight whereas accentuating a way of centrality.
4. Furnishings – Construction- Area. The sustainable idea inherent in conventional wood building is noteworthy, which aligns with “Cut back” within the 3R precept and is particularly embodied by the “furnishings as construction” methodology. An illustrative instance is the clay-shaping rooms of historic kilns in Jingdezhen, nonetheless in use at present. These constructions make the most of Chuandou timber frames because the structural system, the place the columns are carved out with mortises for inserting small wood beams, above which divider panels are then positioned. These panels function platforms for formed clay within the drying course of. This apply displays native building knowledge, resonating with the ethos of cherishing sources. It not solely saves supplies and area, but additionally integrates construction, furnishings, and area into a complete. Impressed by such conventional building knowledge, the undertaking transforms conventional large-section columns into small-section column arrays, that are then stacked vertically and horizontally to safe secondary small wood beams. Panels are subsequently laid on the small beams for holding objects.
These part teams, that are each buildings and practical cabinets, outline a novel area. Small column array teams had been assembled facet by facet within the type of standardized modular models, providing two benefits in rural building: 1) Giant sections and heavier materials rods usually demand massive equipment for hoisting throughout building. Nevertheless, rural roads, characterised by slim pathways, slopes, and depressions, pose challenges for the navigation of huge tools. Breaking down the structural system into small parts facilitated handbook motion, permitting villagers to take part in and arrange the development themselves. 2) The development technique involving standardized modular models enhanced processing and meeting effectivity, resulting in vital financial savings in manpower and materials sources. This strategy is especially well-suited for building in rural settings.
5. Roof Truss in a Spirally and Circularly Overlapped Formation. Following the logical framework of the common 18-sided polygon on the airplane, the exhibition corridor repositions one endpoint of every facet in direction of the middle of the inscribed circle, aligning it perpendicularly to the extension line of the structural columns. When seen from the outside, the adjoining facet partitions are staggered. The numerous gaps between the 18 partitions permit pure mild to filter in and create a visually charming interaction of sunshine and shadow inside the area. Seen from the inside, a particular 2.5m-diameter gap emerges on the heart of the dome, which is shaped by the deliberate group of columns and beams. Within the case of a round dome, straightening rods from the arc factors to the middle of the circle may end in a densely structured central node. This might complicate the connection between the rods, requiring sophisticated central connecting parts and excessive prices in processing and hoisting. Furthermore, the 37m-diameter span of the whole constructing necessitates daylighting within the center. To deal with these challenges, the design workforce conceived a construction during which the rods are mutually supportive and are linked in a spirally round formation. This strategy eliminates conditions the place two members share an endpoint, thereby avoiding the creation of hinged nodes. The wood beams help one another in a spiral, distributing stress, overlapping, and in the end forming a steady and full stress system.
6. Brick, Timber, and Genius Loci. A lot of the homes in Houyanmen Village had been constructed throughout the Seventies and the Nineteen Nineties, characterised by red-brick masonry partitions and triangular wood body roofs. Different homes embody idle, deserted buildings with grey brick partitions and Tailiang-style timber body buildings, in addition to brick-concrete homes constructed earlier than 2000. Huanfeng City, to which Houyanmen Village belongs, has had brick kilns because the Ming and Qing Dynasties. A few of these kilns are nonetheless producing pink bricks, located merely 2 to three kilometers away from Houyanmen Village. Crimson bricks produced within the city, resulting from their cost-effectiveness, stay the first supplies for the villagers constructing their properties. On this undertaking, native pink bricks are utilized to the enclosure partitions and inner partition partitions, constructed by native craftsmen utilizing conventional masonry methods.
Conventional homes within the village usually function brick partitions on the decrease part and wood frames on the higher half. The undertaking adopts an identical materials scheme. To accommodate the necessity for a spacious exhibition space, the wood body not solely types the higher roof but additionally features because the frame-column help for the decrease half. To make sure sturdiness and stop points equivalent to cracking and deformation of logs, glulam, and wood poles had been chosen, and the timber rods had been securely mounted with bolts by way of metallic connecting parts. The mixture of the native red-brick masonry wall methods with the engineered wooden body construction enhances each the structural integrity and sturdiness whereas aligning with the normal constructed setting within the village. This strategy ensures that the agricultural business show constructing not solely meets spatial amount necessities but additionally delivers high-quality spatial aesthetics that echo the genius loci.